Health-conscious Santa Fe boasts plenty of restaurants with tasty vegetarian dishes. Here are a few best bets, in no particular order:
1. Le Pod: A new addition to the food-card scene, this dainty Airstream parks near the intersection of Old Santa Fe Trail and Paseo de Peralta, near the Roundhouse. It specializes in tasty French cuisine, including the vegetarian crepes with squash. Their soup of the day is often vegetarian and, if so, always delicious. Prices range from $5 to $8.
2. Vinaigrette: At this salad bistro, practically any of the menu items can be ordered to fit a vegetarian palate. I especially enjoy Eat Your Peas: fresh baby lettuce and sweet green peas, savory white mushroom sauté, and Asiago cheese with a tart vinaigrette—sans bacon and add grilled tofu, of course. 709 Don Cubero Alley, off Paseo de Peralta.
3. Body: This one-stop wellness stop (it has a fitness center, spa, and boutique on site) also features an elegant cafe featuring organic, raw, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and/or biodynamic dishes. It’s difficult to find something on this menu that isn’t delicious. I particularly enjoy the buckwheat soba noodles with vegetables. 333 W. Cordova Rd.
4. La Plazuela: Head to the former patio, now sunlight restaurant, of the historic La Fonda. Check out the vegetable tart or the vegetarian lasagna—both of which are tasty. 100 E. San Francisco St.
5. Santa Fe Baking Company: This bright gathering place offers homestyle fare and larger than life bakery items. Try the Cowboy Bowl with home fries and black beans topped with an egg, or the veggie burger. 504 West Cordova Rd.
6. Backstreet Bistro: This bustling lunchtime spot with excellent customer service offers a selection of soups daily—including vegetarian and vegan offerings such as Hungarian Mushroom. Before you go, check out their specials online. Backstreet only accepts cash, so come prepared! 513 Camino De Los Marquez
7. Annapurna’s World Vegetarian Cafe: You can’t go wrong here with its menu of all-vegetarian dishes, many of which are also vegan. Additionally, the Ayurvedic food features herbs and spices that balance taste and rejuvenate. I usually opt for one of the three steamed vegetables of the day served with basmati rice, but menu offerings include several Indian dishes plus daily specials that draw from a variety of cultures. 1620 Saint Michaels Dr.
8. The Shed: The Shed serves some of the best chile sauce in the City Different. Bonus: It’s vegetarian. Try the enchiladas or the blue corn burrito plate. 113 1/2 E. Palace Ave.
9. India Palace: Indian food is the go-to cuisine for protein-balanced vegetarian dishes. The lunch buffet here offers several suitable options at an affordable price. 227 Don Gaspar Ave.
10. Guadalupe Cafe: Known for their excellent New Mexican food, this intimate cafe with a fab patio also offers a slate of family-sized salads. 422 Old Santa Fe Trail